Locomotive G601 is the sole surviving representative of a class
of three shunting locomotives constructed in 1956 by
Motorenfabrik Deutz at Koln, Germany. Locomotive G601 entered
traffic with CIE on 1st June 1956, and lasted in service until
22nd July 1972. The locomotive was officially withdrawn by CIE
on 27th April 1978.
Locomotive G601 then languished at the back of Inchicore Works
in a totally derelict state until it was preserved by the Irish
Narrow Gauge Trust in mid-1992. It was then moved to the Bord Na
Mona plant at Littleton, near Thurles, for temporary storage on
25th July 1992.
On 4th September 1993 the locomotive was moved to a new home at
the Cavan & Leitrim Railway at Dromod, Co. Leitrim. The
locomotive was then stored on an isolated section of track in
the old narrow gauge bay platform at the station.
In September 1994 the owners of G601 decided to sell the
locomotive, and gave first refusal to the ITG. On 4th February
1995 G601 was moved by low-loader from Dromod to Carrick-On-Suir,
where it was to remain until it was moved back to Inchicore
Works in early 1996 for display at the open weekend on 15th and
16th June 1996. Following a repaint for the “Inchicore 150”
event, this locomotive was eventually taken back to Carrick-On-Suir,
arriving back there in August 1996. G601 has remained outside
the shed at Carrick-On-Suir ever since, awaiting its turn for
During July 2008 a wooden frame was constructed around the upper
part of locomotive G601. A protective layer of steel cladding
was then attached to the wooden frame, which now completely
encases the cab and bonnet of the locomotive. This was done in
order to help protect the locomotive’s bodywork from the
elements and also from the threat of vandalism.
During July 2009 a replacement Deutz F8L614 engine was obtained
via Ebay for this locomotive, which will greatly assist in its
eventual restoration. The spare engine was paid for by a number
of regular volunteers and donated to the ITG. On 27th
February 2010 this spare engine was started for the first time
using a makeshift fuel supply in order to test it. Everything
was found to be in order.
G601 During the period it was stored in Inchicore
Works in 1989.
Photo: Derek Thompson.
G601 under restoration at Inchicore.
G601 at Carrick on Suir. Aiden Kehoe
Deutz locomotive G601 has now been covered with a protective
layer of steel cladding. Photo: Aidan Kehoe.