Home Locos Events Donate Membership Store Contact Links

009 at Dublin Connolly on the 18:30 to Rosslare - 10.04.89





001 (A) Class Co-Co Locomotive

Built by Metropolitan Vickers, Dukinfield Works, Manchester, England (1955-56)

Engine: Crossley HSTV8 of 1200hp

Re-engined: General Motors 12-645E of 1325hp

Weight: 82 tons

Maximum Speed: 75 mph

Locomotive Numbers 001-060


Originally numbered A1-A60, the last examples of the class were withdrawn in 1995. Two are now preserved by the ITG (003 and 039) and loco 015 is on static display at the West Clare Railway, Moyasta. The shell of 055 is preserved as a static exhibit in Hell’s Kitchen Bar and Restaurant, Castlerea, Co Roscommon.


110 and 111 at Inchicore Works in 1986 waiting movement to North Wall (Dublin) for scrapping.


101 (B) Class A1A-A1A Locomotive

Built by Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company at Smethwick, England (1956-57)

Engine: Sulzer 6LDA28 of 960hp

Weight: 75 tons

Maximum Speed: 75 mph

Locomotive Numbers 101-112


Originally numbered B101-B112. The last examples of this class were taken out of service in 1978. The only surviving example, 103 is preserved by the Irish Traction Group.


B114 in Inchicore Works.


113 (B) Class Bo-Bo Locomotive

Built by CIE at Inchicore Works, Dublin (1947-51)

Engine: Sulzer 6LDA28 of 960hp

Weight: 80 tons

Maximum Speed: 55 mph

Locomotive Numbers B113-B114


Originally numbered 1100-1101. The last example of this class was taken out of service in 1975. The only surviving example, 113, is preserved by the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum, Cultra.




121 (B) Class Bo-Bo Locomotive

Built by General Motors, La Grange, Illinois, USA (1960)

Engine: General Motors 8-567CR of 950hp

Some locomotives subsequently re-engined with General Motors 8-B645E of 950hp or General Motors 8-645E of 950hp

Weight: 64 tons

Maximum Speed: 75 mph

Locomotive Numbers 121-135


Originally numbered B121-B135. The last examples of this class were taken out of service in March 2008. Locomotive 124 has been preserved by the Irish Traction Group, whilst the only other surviving example, 134, is preserved by the RPSI.




141 (B) class Bo-Bo Locomotive

Built by General Motors, La Grange, Illinois, USA

Engine: GM 8-567CR of 950hp

Weight: 67 tonnes

Maximum Speed: 75 mph

Locomotive Numbers: 141-177


Originally numbered B141-B177. The last example of this class was taken out of service in October 2011. Locomotives 146 and 152 have been preserved by the ITG, whilst locomotives 141, 142 and 175 have been preserved by the RPSI. 141 and 142 have been renumbered B141 and B142 respectively. Locomotives 144, 147, 162, 171 and 177 remain stored at Inchicore Works awaiting scrapping or eventual preservation.




181 (B) Class Bo-Bo Locomotive

Built by General Motors, La Grange, Illinois, USA (1966)

Engine: General Motors 8-645E of 1100hp

Some locomotives subsequently re-engined with General Motors 8-B645E of 1100 hp or General Motors 8-567CR of 1100hp

Weight: 67 tons

Maximum Speed: 75 mph

Locomotive Numbers: 181-192


Originally numbered B181-B192. The last example of this class was taken out of service in November 2009. The only surviving example, 190, has been preserved by the Irish Traction Group.


212 stands at Connolly Depot.





201 (C) Class Bo-Bo Locomotive

Built by Metropolitan Vickers, Dukinfield Works, Manchester, England. (1955-56)

Engine: Crossley ESTV8 of 550hp

Re-engined: General Motors 8-B645E engine of 1100hp.

Weight: 62 tons

Maximum Speed: 80 mph

Locomotive Numbers 201-234


Originally numbered C201-C234, then B201-B234. The last examples of this class were taken out of service in 1986. Two are now preserved by the Irish Traction Group, 226 and 231. Locomotives 216, 218, 227, 228, 230 and 234 were sold to Northern Ireland Railways in 1986 and became 104 – 109.


D302 Inchicore 1972. Jonathan Allen



301 (D) Class 0-6-0 Locomotive

Built by CIE at Inchicore Works, Dublin (1946-48)

Engine: Mirrlees TLDT6 of 487hp

Weight: 53 tons

Maximum Speed: 25 mph

Locomotive Numbers D301-D305


Originally numbered 1000-1004. The last example of this class was taken out of service in 1972. All were cut up in 1977 and none survive today.


E402 at Dublin Heuston April 1971. Photo - Jonathan Allan


401 (E) Class C Locomotive

Built by CIE at Inchicore Works, Dublin (1956-58)

Engine: Maybach MD220 of 420hp

Weight: 39 tons

Maximum Speed: 25 mph

Locomotive Numbers E401-E419


The last examples of this class were taken out of service in 1979. All were cut up between 1977 and 1984 and none survive today.


E428 prior to working between Claremorris and Ballina on 3rd April 1988


421 (E) Class E Locomotive

Built by CIE at Inchicore Works, Dublin (1962)

Engine: Maybach MD220 of 420hp

Weight: 43 tons

Maximum Speed: 25 mph

Locomotive Numbers E421-E434


The last examples of this class were taken out of service in 1983. Two are now preserved at the Downpatrick & Co. Down Railway, 421 and 432, whilst 428 is privately preserved at Dunsandle, Co. Galway.


Locos F501 - F503 withdrawn at Inchicore in 1966. Photo - Peter Excell



501 (F) Class 0-4-0 + 0-4-0 Locomotive

Built by Walker Gardner, Wigan, England (1954)

Engines: Two Gardner of 224hp

Weight: 23 tons

Maximum Speed: 25 mph plus an overdrive facility for 32 mph on passenger trains.

Locomotive Numbers F501-F503


Originally numbered C31-C33. These locomotives were constructed for use on the West Clare Narrow Gauge Railway. The locomotives were withdrawn in 1961 when the line closed. These locomotives were cut up in 1968 and none survive today.


G601 at Inchicore Works



601 (G) Class B Locomotive

Built by Motorenfabrik Deutz at Köln, Germany (1955-56)

Engine: Deutz A8L 614 of 130hp

Weight: 18 tons

Maximum Speed: 20 mph

Locomotive Numbers G601-G603


The last example of this class was taken out of service in 1972. The only surviving example 601 is preserved by the Irish Traction Group.


G613 at Downpatrick



611 (G) Class 0-6-0 Locomotive

Built by Motorenfabrik Deutz at Köln, Germany (1961-62)

Engine: Deutz A8L 714 of 160hp

Weight: 22 tons

Maximum Speed: 26 mph

Locomotive Numbers G611-G617


The last examples of this class were taken out of service in 1977. Three are now preserved by the Irish Traction Group, 611, 616 and 617, whilst 613 is privately preserved at the Downpatrick & Co. Down Railway.


K801 at Inchicore Works. Photo - Jonathan Allan



801 (K) Class 0-8-0 Locomotive

Built by Maschinenbau at Kiel, Germany for GNR(B) (1954)

Engine: MAK 800hp

Weight: 57 tons

Maximum Speed: 50 mph

Locomotive Number K801


Originally numbered 800, then K800. This locomotive was taken out of service in 1974, and was then sold in 1976 to a scrap dealer in Co. Galway. The locomotive was then used to power a car crushing plant before suffering a seized engine in 1977. The remains of this locomotive were eventually cut up in 1999.


DH1 on static display at Lisburn in 1989. Photo - A J Marshall




1 (DH) Class 0-6-0 Locomotive

Built by English Electric, Vulcan Foundry, Newton le Willows, England (1969)

Engine: Dorman 12QTV of 620hp

Weight: 42 tons

Maximum Speed: 29 mph

Locomotive Numbers 1-3


The last example of this class was taken out of service in 1989. All three of these locomotives were originally preserved by the ITG, but 2 and 3 were subsequently sold for re-use in Sri Lanka in 2005, whilst locomotive 1 was sold in January 2010 to Beaver Power Limited, Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales, for possible industrial use.


103 at York Road Works, Belfast. Photo - Peter Jones



101 (DL) Class Bo-Bo locomotives

Built BREL at Doncaster as sub-contractors for the Hunslet Engine Company, Leeds (1970)

Engine: English Electric 8CSVT of 1350hp

Weight: 68 tons

Maximum Speed: 80 mph

Locomotive Numbers: 101-103


The last example of this class was taken out of service in 2002. Two locomotives, 101 and 102, were originally preserved by the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland at Whitehead, Co. Antrim, but 101 was subsequently scrapped for spare parts in January 2010. Locomotive 102 was subsequently sold to the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum, Cultra.


109 at York Road Works, Belfast. Photo - Peter Jones






104 (MV) Class Bo-Bo locomotives

Built by Metropolitan Vickers, Dukinfield Works, Manchester, England (1955-56)

Engine: General Motors 8-B645E of 1100hp

Weight: 62 tons

Maximum Speed: 80 mph

Locomotive Numbers: 104-109


Originally numbered 216, 218, 227, 228, 230 and 234 by CIE. Purchased by Northern Ireland Railways in 1986 and renumbered 104-109, the last remaining example was withdrawn from NIR service in 1995. The only surviving example, 106, was initially preserved as a static exhibit at Cahirciveen, Co. Kerry, and was erroneously numbered C202. This locomotive was subsequently purchased by a preservation group based in the Waterford area, and has now been moved to a private site in Waterford.


16 at York Road scrap yard. Photo - Peter Excell



Diesel Shunter

Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast (1938)

Engine: Harland Burmeister & Wain TR6 of 225hp

Weight: 28 tons

Maximum Speed: 20 mph

Locomotive Numbers: 20/16


Used by Harland & Wolff until January 1945, when it was loaned to LMS (NCC). Returned to Harland & Wolff 1 April 1946 and allocated No. 20. Returned to UTA as number 16 in January 1951 in exchange for number 2 ex B&CDR. Survived in use into NIR days until at least 1973.



Diesel Shunter (Class X)

Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for LMS (NCC) (1936)

Engine: Harland Burmeister & Wain TR8 of 330hp

Weight: 49 tons

Maximum Speed: 50 mph

Locomotive Number: 17


On loan until purchased in 1941. Although passing to NIR in 1968, it had been sold out of use for some time before this date. Named ‘Harlandic’


Many thanks to the Gordon Edgar collection for providing and allowing us to reproduce this photo.


NO PHOTO AVAILABLE


Diesel Shunter (Class X)

Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast to shunt at Heysham Harbour (1933)

Rebuilt: Harland & Wolff, Belfast for LMS (NCC) (1945)

Engine: Harland Burmeister & Wain of 225hp

Weight: 27 tons

Maximum Speed: 10 mph

Locomotive Number: 22


Rebuilt and re-gauged from LMSR 7057 built by Harland & Wolff (order no. 2503) in 1933. Withdrawn by LMSR January 1944 and sold back to Harland & Wolff January 1945. Loaned to LMS (NCC) in 1945 and later purchased by UTA (as successors to LMS (NCC)) October 1949.


28 at Great Victoria Street, 1966. Photo - Peter Excell





Diesel Electric

Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, for the Belfast & County Down Railway (1937)

Engine: Harland Burmeister & Wain TR8 of 500hp

Weight: 48 tons

Maximum Speed: 60 mph

Locomotive Number: D2/28


Originally only loaned to the B&CDR. Withdrawn by B&CDR in December 1944 and then loaned by Harland and Wolff to LMS (NCC) in July 1945. Withdrawn for a second time (by UTA) September 1952, returned to Harland & Wolff. Ran on trials on GNR(I) 1957-1961. Finally purchased by UTA in 1 November 1962, retaining the number 28. Survived to NIR days before suffering a failure in 1970. Last reported dumped in Belfast in 1973.


Ex BCDR D1 at Harland & Wolff shipyard, 1966. Photo - Peter Excell



Diesel Electric 1A-A1

Built: Harland & Wolff, Belfast, for the Belfast & County Down Railway (1933)

Engine: Harland Burmeister & Wain TR4 of 270hp

Weight: 33 tons

Maximum Speed: 50 mph

Locomotive Number: D1/2/202


Sold back to Harland & Wolff January 1951, who rebuilt it to an 0-4-0 shunting loco for their own use. It remained in use until October 1967.


©2014 Irish Traction Group